The recording was released by the label Magic Ball Jazz Records. On this album, “The Flying Dutchman,” world-class pianist Peter Beets takes on his newest challenge with the 18-piece big band led by jazz maestro Henk Meutgeert, who wrote new music and leads this motley crew of up-and-coming young talents.
Henk Meutgeert is known as a dynamic bandleader and an energetic arranger. Peter Beets is a lauded pianist who carries the whole orchestra with his refined sense of swing.
By leaving a lot of space for personal interpretation by the musicians, yet still keeping a tight rein on the arrangements, Meutgeert gets the most out of both the. Experiment and improvisation go hand in hand with razor-sharp swing and jazz tradition.
The repertoire on this album encapsulates what the orchestra has in store for the future, featuring works from composers such as Wagner, Chopin, Piazolla, Jobim and Ellington. These works are arranged by Henk Meutgeert and are filled in with new works by both Henk and Peter, where the emphasis lies on the essence of jazz: swing and improvisation. The album is compiled from live recordings in Bimhuis and Concertgebouw.
- Henk Meutgeert – Dirigent, componist, arrangeur
- Peter Beets – Piano
- Tijs Klaassen – Bas
- Wouter Kühne – Drums
- Jasper van Damme – Alt saxofoon
- Mo van der Does – Alt saxofoon
- Floriaan Wempe - Tenor saxofoon
- Fernando Sanchez Bouzon – Tenor saxofoon
- Rik van den Bergh – Bariton saxofoon
- Jos van den Heuvel – Trombone
- Peter Keijsers – Trombone
- Pablo Martinez – Trombone (Concertgebouw)
- Alba Pujals – Trombone (Bimhuis)
- Bart van Gorp – Bastrombone
- Libbe Oosterman – Trompet
- Suzan Veneman – Trompet
- Gidon Nunes Vaz – Trompet
- Ellister van der Molen – Trompet (Concertgebouw)
- Ian Cleaver – Trompet (Bimhuis)
- Abriel Ferreira – Trompet